dennis & the vibraphonette

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Broke Belt Mountain

When I bought the vibraphonette a few years ago I had to buy the belts for the 3 pulleys. This was not an easy task. I had rubber bands to make sure everything worked, but I was having a hard time choosing what to use on a regular basis. I finally settled on vcr belts. I measured around the pulleys and went down to the local old-school TV/VCR repair shop. The guy there had to sift through all their belts to come up with something that matched. He didn't seem to completely enjoy the task. I took them home and tried to put them on but they were too big! So I trotted back down to the shop to plead my case in the hopes he would look again. With a disapproving look he took the 3 belts and came up with 3 smaller ones. As I was leaving he told me that if these didn't fit - don't come back!

Fast forward to present day. A few weeks ago, in the middle of a rehearsal with Catherine (of the band Coraline) the pulleys that turn to make the 'wah-wah' sound were not turning! I could still hear the motor so I figured that it was a broken belt. I took it half-way apart and found the broken belt inside. It was the belt that went from the motor to the middle pulley that turns the two 'wah-wah' pulleys.

My friend Gary said that I used to have a vibraphonette - now I just have a phonette. Funny.

I thought, "Great! I'll get to see what the fellows in the old TV/VCR shop are up to." So I trotted down 5th Ave with the broken belt in hand. I actually knew the size this time! But, alas, as I approached the storefront, the door was open but the gates were halfway down and a construction guy was carrying out some rubble from the demolition! Ouch! I'll miss those guys.

Luckily, I had a few options. Joe (who saved the day with the vibraphonette handle) said he had an O-ring maker. Also, there was another old-school TV/VCR shop not too far away. The guy at this shop seemed a bit more cheery that he had to find a vcr belt to match. Maybe it was because I had the old belt that I knew worked - or maybe it was a slow day at the shop. I think these VCR repair shops are a dying breed. He found one and as I paid for it he asked what kind of vcr I had. I said it was for a musical instrument. He looked unimpressed. I think I'm going to go back and buy a few more (incase that shop closes, too) and maybe I'll bring a video of the vibraphonette in action. That will bring him around!

The vibraphonette had not been taken apart in a while, so when I took it fully apart, I found some dust and some more broken hard, black pieces - I think from the bell separators. I cleaned it up a bit and took some pictures as I was putting the new belt on, and put it back together. After looking at the pictures, I think I need to do a better cleaning!


Well, everything is working once again so my phonette has turned back into a vibraphonette. -Whew!

1 Comments:

  • Which belts did you use? Were they round or square? And how long in diameter? Thanx for answering. When it's repaired I'll post a pic.

    Kino

    By Blogger kino, at 2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home